RI "Too Preoccupied" with Fossil Energy, Renewable Energy Should be Accelerated

Friday, 26 May 2017

Jakarta - The dependence on fossil energy would endanger Indonesia's energy security in the future. Therefore, Committee II of the Regional Representatives Council (DPD) accelerate the preparation of draft legislation on the Development of Renewable Energy (EBT).

Through the draft that also included in the National Legislation Program (Prolegnas) 2015-2019, it is expected bring diversification efforts related to energy in the form of renewable energy sources in a bid to secure domestic energy supply. Drafting of legislation on the Development of Renewable Energy aims to create a base in the regulation of energy diversification.

According to Chairman of EBT Drafting Work Team Committee II DPD RI, DPD Wa Ode Hamsinah, in the future Indonesia will not depend on fossil fuels, and then switch to renewable energy instead. "The spirit of DPD to lift this legislation, so that we have a base to initiate and manage renewable energy," she said in a hearing at the Committee II Meeting Room DPD, Jakarta, Monday (30/01/2017).

Furthermore, she explained that the management and development of renewable energy in Indonesia is not yet implemented according to plan. The added energy generation in various places still using fossil fuels, even though in Indonesia as a country that has a high potential in the field of renewable energy, such as geothermal.

"The development of renewable energy can be a solution to the reliance on fossil fuels that increasingly dimnish." Wa Ode said.

The discussion of this legislation draft get a good reception from the Expert Geothermal, Yunus Daud., because the potential of renewable energy in Indonesia is very large. According to him, it is time Indonesia had to switch from fossil fuel to renewable energy sources.

"I think this legistlation drafting is very urgent. Even in my opinion, this is very late. Therefore, at this time, we must begin. We are too preoccupied with fossil energy. If there is no plan (renewable energy), we will not be self-sufficient," Yunus said.

He also thinks that the initiation development of this legislation draft very attuned to how Indonesia has endurance or energy security in the future. Currently renewable energy sources in Indonesia has not fully developed. Concrete steps from the government to develop renewable energy sources has not seen clearly.

Currently, Indonesia is still dependent on energy imports from abroad. Refers to government regulations (PP) number 79 Year 2014 on National Energy Policy, renewable energy targets on energy mix in 2025 only by 23%. The figure still indicates the magnitude of Indonesia's dependence on fossil energy.

"But I do not see 23% of it, but look at the rest. Remaining 77% of the fossil energy. So in 2025 we can not get away from fossil fuels, 77% was a big number. Properly renewable energy even more," he said.

Yunus hopes that a legislation draft on renewable energy is able to open the eyes of the public that if Indonesia always depend on fossil fuels, the future Indonesia will experience an energy crisis. The existence of this draft will be a strong base in the development of renewable energy.


Geothermal Photo & Video Competition

NQ News, Tuesday, 1 September 2021

Young Geothermal Explorationist Competition

NQ News, Tuesday, 1 September 2021

Geoscientific Software Developer Competition

NQ News, Tuesday, 1 September 2021

NQ Workshop: Journalism & Social Media

NQ News, Monday, March 15, 2021

NQ Academy Webinar #5: Government Drilling Program

NQ News, Wednesday, January 27, 2021

NQ Annual Meeting 2021: 10 Years of Contributions

NQ News, Monday, January 22, 2021

WKP Gunung Sirung in Paradise Islands

NQ News, Monday, January 11, 2021

Prospect of WKP Bora Pulu

NQ News, Wednesday, December 30, 2020


NQ News, Friday October 30, 2020


NQ News, Wednesday October 21, 2020


NQ News, Monday October 12, 2020


NQ News, Monday September 21, 2020

The Long Way of Exploration for the Tulehu WKP, Maluku

NQ News, Wednesday August 26, 2020

NewQuest 2019 Annual Meeting For More Success In 2020

NQ News, Wednesday August 5, 2020

Gravity Modelling Workshop

Monday, 5 February 2017